Help us bring the arts and communities together. Join the movement - become a Pickle Pal for 2023-24!
12 July 2024, and Pickle Factory turns 6! It’s been a rollercoaster ride since 2017, as we have consistently created and offered fresh modes, spaces and experiences of dance and movement performance to diverse audiences in Calcutta and beyond. In our quest and commitment to support, nurture, challenge and develop our local dance ecologies and engage a range of communities, we have worked with artists and guests from our city, the rest of India and abroad in the craziest of spaces converting them into magical pop-up performance venues and experiences, redefining relationships between physical movement and physical space. Dance can, does – and must – happen anywhere, with anyone, for anyone; and it can, does, and must transform everyone and everything it touches.
In 6 years over 700+ programmes in Calcutta and elsewhere, we have featured 400+ artists and guests from 20+ countries across 6 continents (we have not yet managed to work with the artists who may live in Antarctica). We have reached 1,00,000+ audiences in person and online, worked in 50+ venues and with 100+ local, national and international collaborators. We have been a focus organization in 10+ international festivals, and guest curated for festivals in Scotland, South Africa and – of course – India. Most importantly, we have been humbled, inspired and gratefully overwhelmed by the wealth of goodwill, appreciation, and solidarity that has come to us from our ever-expanding family from all over the world.
As we turn 6, we recommit to imagining, evolving, and seeding experiences to bring the arts and communities together – plural, accessible, safe and sustainable spaces to nurture the many possible futures of dance in our wonderfully diverse country. And on this birthday, we ask you for a gift to help us continue making this happen, as our dreams grow bigger even as support for the arts dwindles.
With a contribution of just Rs. 2000/- (the cost of a dinner with friends), you can support our plans and programmes in 2023-24. Become a Pickle Pal!
You contribution will fuel:
- Regular events bringing together dance, music and visual art at unconventional venues
- The American A-Liverary series in partnership with the American Center Library that invites performing artists to engage with new and diverse voices in American literature to create bridges between words and movement, and initiate discussions on values of diversity, inclusion and access.
- Three intensive and immersive workshops as part of the NGO Ek Tara’s holistic education programme for young girls and women leaders from vulnerable communities. Featuring local, India and international artists, these workshops are designed to open up the world of arts, and also to nurture the values of empathy and imagination in participants.
- Antigone Interrupted. A performance and workshop by Scottish Dance Theatre from Dundee, Scotland. They begin their India tour in Calcutta in December 2023.
- Don’t Hop, Don’t Jump, LEAP: Pickle Factory Season 4 A multi-event season of performances, workshops, interactions, exchanges featuring artists and guests from India, Finland, Germany, Austria, Belgium, and Denmark presented in collaboration with various partners in a range of venues: community fields, schools, public spaces, auditoria, and more.
Join the Pickle Factory movement – become a Pickle Pal for 2023-24!
A donation of just Rs 2000 from 100 Pickle Pals like you will be enough to get us started. You can donate here. And do share this with others you feel would like to support us too.
And, of course, you’ll get served this year-long feast of dance first!
Many thanks in advance from all of us in the Pickle Factory team!
- We are registered as an NGO eligible for donations with the Indian government with Unique NGO ID WB/2021/0292010.
- Donations to Pickle Factory Dance Foundation are tax exempt under Section 80G of the Income Tax Act
A big thank you to all who have contributed so far. We have Pickle Pals from Calcutta, Mumbai, Bangalore, Delhi, Santiniketan and Chennai!
Shayori Mitra, Sujoy Prosad Chatterjee, Madhushree Basu, Sanjay Roy, Toral Shah, Nayana Gangooly, Urmimala Sarkar Munshi, Preethi Athreya,
Lata Devi Bajoria, Anushka Kurien, Gautam Chakraborti, Mukul Agarwal, Menaka Rodriguez, Pratiti Basu Sarkar, Amit Roy, Piyal Bhattacharya,
Diya Naidu, Aishika Chakraborty, T. V. Srinivasan, Sharmila Biswas, Sandhya Apte, Paula Sengupta, Suleena Sapra, Narthaki Official,
Katie Dalal, Minoo Daryanani, Mandeep Singh Raikhy, Damayanti Lahiri, Mukulita Ganguly, Rashmi Dhanwani, Priyadarshini Chitrangada